Tuesday, July 29, 2014

7 Tips to Help You Keep Your Sanity When You Become A New Mom.

Parenting is hard. Becoming a new Mom is incredibly challenging and frightening. I didn't have a lot of friends who were Mom's when I had my first but the couple that I did gave me some amazing advice. These 7 tips were things I learned after giving birth to my 2 girls. Now that I am expecting my 3rd baby, I feel much more at ease with the whole process. So I want to share my knowledge as best I can!
I read this blog this evening and agree 100 %!
 http://www.cloudywithachanceofwine.com/10-tips-all-new-moms-should-read-before-they-enter-parenthood/#_a5y_p=1909090
But....I have a few tips of my own.

1) You are in charge of your labor. The nurses and doctors work for you. This doesn't mean that I think you should ignore their advice(those nurses are some smart ladies!) but it does mean that if they want you to do something you don't feel comfortable you do have a say!

2) Kick out the guests when you are tired. I can't even think how many friends I have had tell me that they were exhausted and didn't want company. Or they had company who overstayed their welcome while Mom needed to nurse or nap. If you or your husband don't feel comfortable kicking people out, ask the nurse to do it. But honestly, if anybody who visits you in the hospital is going to be offended because you need a nap, they don't need to be there in the first place.

3) Ignore your cell phone. You are not required to answer the phone every time it rings or answer that text from a dear friend who wants to know what you are up to. You are up to sleeping, feeding and bonding. Those are your only jobs. You can get back to people eventually but for the first days/weeks focus on that baby.

4) People are going to want to hog your baby. Don't let them. People will tell you that they can feed the baby but sometimes you really just want to feed your own baby. Take back your baby. You don't need to feel guilty for wanting to take care of your baby in your own way.

5) For Mom's of NICU babies- NICU nurses are some of the most experienced, loving and competent people you will ever meet. And they will wrap your baby up like a burrito and toss them around like a throw pillow. It's freaky. But they know what they are doing. Trust them and take their advice. We learned so much from our time in NICU. They taught us a new way to burp our little girl that was brilliant! They can change a diaper in 10 seconds(including weighing) and they are the champions of the swaddle. They are incredibly busy so they have learned how to do all of this incredibly fast and efficiently which can be scary for a new parent. Don't be afraid of them, rather ask for their advice.

6) NICU Mom's- Those scary NICU nurses? They scare doctors too. If you aren't getting an answer from your doc or just want a more thorough update, that nurse will be an advocate for you. We struggled with our second one to get any of the pediatricians to actually speak to us personally. With our first, the pediatrician would come into our hospital room each morning and give me an update but with the second I had to stalk her NICU room to get any update at all. When I expressed my frustration to the nurse she stepped in and got me some one on one time with the doctor so I could get some answers.

7) It is okay to do it different. I parent like my parents. When I need parenting advice I call my Mom or ask a Mom that I trust. I don't seek out advice on the internet. My friends do. That's okay. My friends have individual parenting philosophies. I don't. I want to raise healthy, happy kids who seek God. I don't necessarily have a plan for that but rather I play it by ear for each stage. That's okay too. No 2 parents agree(Not even Mom and Dad always agree.) so don't stress about disagreeing with your best friend about how to discipline your child or sleep training.

No comments: