Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Family Favorite!

For as many Christmases as I can remember, my Mom would make a couple of batches of caramel corn. They rarely last more than a day. I’m not sure why we don’t make it more often throughout the year but it is an absolute requirement for Christmas. I almost didn’t make it this year. But then my brother said he would be visiting on Christmas Eve and I decided that we needed caramel corn. This recipe is really very simple, and as long as you don’t burn the popcorn, which is where I usually mess up.

4 qts popped corn

1 cup Brown sugar

1/2 cup of butter

1/2 cup corn syrup

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Pre heat oven to 250. Line a large baking sheet with popcorn(I used 2 glass 9x13’s because they wash easier). Combine butter, sugar, syrup and salt in a large stock pot and combine. Bring to a boil and let it boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda, stir. Pour on popcorn and stir to coat. Put in oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

I usually double the recipe so it lasts a bit longer…like 36 hours rather than 24.

Enjoy!

No comments: