Monday, February 6, 2017

Bacon Cheeseburger Cabbage

I have hated cabbage my whole life. To be fair, I really only ever ate it in my Mom's vegetable soup. Of course, when cabbage is boiled it gets very slimy. In the past couple of years though, I have learned how to cook it differently and this is by far our favorite. This one fits perfectly into my 28 day Reset that I am doing. My only complaint would be that there isn't enough!!! I could eat it for days.

So here is the recipe in poorly taken cell phone photos:
Bacon Cheeseburger Cabbage
First I browned some hamburger, about 3/4 pounds.
Then I cooked some bacon.






Yum!
Chop an entire head of cabbage and a medium onion.





Pull the bacon out of the skillet but don't drain the grease. Add in the cabbage and the onion and sautee in a good heavy pan(I will always recommend a cast iron. So cheap and so amazing) until well wilted and tender.
 
 While it was sauteeing I seasoned with garlic powder, salt and pepper. I usually add real garlic but I was interrupted and forgot. When I tasted it at the end I added more salt and some Lawrys.
 
As you can see, it cooks down a lot! As my kids grow, I am guessing I will need to 2 heads of cabbage. It should be glistening and the onions should be translucent. If it gets a little browned, it will just be even yummier.

Add the meats back in once the cabbage is cooked. Heat it through.
 
At this point, I pulled my helping out because with the 28 Day Reset, I can't eat dairy. But of course, kids eat everything a little better if it has cheese so...




I added about a cup of cheddar to the rest. It wasn't quite as yellow as the photo makes it look but it was delicious!
This meal takes about 5 minutes of prep, cutting the onion, cabbage and bacon. It takes about 40 minutes to make but it is not a meal you have to stand at the stove while cooking. Once I added the cabbage in, I only stirred every 5 minutes. It took about 25 minutes for it to cook through. And the cleanup, well it was 1 cutting board, 1 knife, 1 skillet and a spoon.
I know a lot of people feel like eating healthy is too expensive so let me break this meal down for you,
1 head of cabbage $1.78
1/2 pound of bacon(on sale) $1.86
3/4 pound hamburger(I got a family pack so it was extra cheap) $1.80
1/2 onion(because mine were huge) $.42
1 cup of cheddar(sale!!) $.95
 Total of $6.81
Now, I don't include my seasonings in my pricing but I suppose if you feel like that will help you budget, you could add $.10. Either way, this meal fed my family of 5 and there are leftovers for mine and Calebs lunch tomorrow, for under $7. And it is healthy. Yes, there is red meat. Yes, there is bacon. And oh ya, cheese! But did you know that most American women don't eat enough red meat? I am a big proponent of "Everything in Moderation" so eat some bacon, eat some cheese! But also, eat that cabbage! And have an apple.
I hope you try this one out, trust me. If you hate cabbage, try it anyways and if you hate it, I will gladly eat it for you.

No comments: