Saturday, March 4, 2017

Home-free haircuts

I have been sharing ways that our family saves money and this is possibly one of my favorites!
Last year I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how easy it was to trim little girl hair. My girls have very long hair and don't want short hair so it seemed like it would be easy. I bought a pair of scissors from Walmart and did some research. I found a lot of videos on the subject but my favorite was Hair 101 with April. I thought she was very comprehensive and not annoying to watch at all. She is a mom as well so she had some great tips for dealing with kiddos.
This is the cut I did with Emily, and with her slight curl, it was amazing. I thought it was easy and fun.
Molly's was a little different. I did box layers on her and they framed her face so well! After trying both methods, I decided I liked box layers better and have since done them on both girls.


And the finished product after the first time.
One of the best things about it was that it was 20 minutes completely alone with each girl. I banned siblings from the room so I could focus and what that meant was that we had a lot of time to talk.

I have also ventured into men's haircuts. I cut Jared's every 6 weeks or so but every 3rd or 4th time, he goes to the barber to get a really polished cut. His hair is very thick and I haven't mastered it yet. Caleb is much simpler. I took him into a stylist and asked for a crew cut but what we came away with was a poorly done buzz cut. He has such beautiful hair that I really don't want to buzz it. Tonight I did a crew cut on him for the first time. He sat really well but once he saw the hair falling, he kept shouting, "Hey Mom! Ma hair!"
It's certainly not perfect but it is better than the last 2 I paid for.He has a funny little cowlick in the front that is hard to work around but I think it went well. It took about 10 minutes. I used the Wahl Color that I got for Christmas. It is so easy to use and is a great value.
I figure that cutting my children's hair saves me around $200 a year and I really enjoy it.The best thing about cutting their hair is that it grows back. With very long hair, the girls can afford to lose a little extra if the cut isn't right and Caleb is 2 so he really doesn't care what he looks like. This is definitely something I would recommend for all families to try.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I cut my children's hair all the the way through high school until my daughter wanted something more sophisticated. It saves money and makes sense. Good for you!