Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Week 1 progress!

Update on the minimalism challenge.
For Week 1 I said I was going to clean out the:
-Tupperware cupboard

-Craft cupboard and random craft crap

-Daughters closet and toys

-Hall closet

-Upper cabinets and refrigerator

-Pan cupboard and dish towels

I successfully cleaned out the craft cupboard on Monday and it was pretty easy since I had just done it after Christmas to fit in all of their new craft crap. They love coloring, painting and crafting so being able to access it more easily is a great thing for their sanity and mine.

Today we ventured into the toys. I had actually planned to do the toy room next week but since I was doing the girls', I decided to tackle every toy in this house. My son, doesn't have that many interests. He likes things that go vroom or boom so it was easy to clean out his room. We took out all of the baby toys(cue the tears! for mama) and made room for all of his toys to fit nicely in his toy box.
The girls room was tougher. They have dolls. Lot's of dolls. But Emily plays with EVERY.SINGLE.ONE! Molly isn't really into them but Em spends most afternoons playing Barbies/Ever After High Dolls/My Little Pony games. So we decided that at this point, we are not going to take any away. We did remove some broken dolls and ruined clothes but mostly I just organized them.
The play room seems to be the room where the toys my kids don't actually like, end up. Since I do in-home daycare, things don't always last long in there. When you put 6 kids in a room together, things get a little wild. So today we removed broken toys and Happy Meal toys. ..side note.. I hate happy meal toys. They make me grumpy. Runza has the right idea.

After cleaning out the toys, I decided to jump into the project of the girls' closet. This also wasn't as big of a job as I thought it would be because I had done it earlier this school year. I sort the girls clothes by the size I think they will be in at the next season so we went through their closet and removed the too small clothes and then opened the box of spring clothes and had the girls try them on. We always have a few hand me downs which saves us a lot of money and this year, neither girl has grown much so they don't need much for this next season.

So it's Tuesday and the back of my car is filled with 3 boxes of toys. I took out a small box of broken toys to the trash and my living room table is covered in clothes that need a new home.

Week 1 is off to a good start!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want to come help me find my desk?

Signed, You Know Who

Anonymous said...

I actually started on this journey a year or so. We will have to talk minamilist ideas. It is freeing. After 29 years in the same home I have a ways to go, Each time I purge it gets easier.