Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sweet Pumkin-ny Memories

I have been wanting something pumpkin-ny ever since it first got cold.  And we ran out of cookies so it was the perfect excuse to make pumpkin cookies!  So Molly and I went into the kitchen to get to work.  She sobbed most of the morning because her head hurt from a fever so I was happy to be able to make her smile.

I am kind of nutso about my kitchen.  Jared and I cannot cook together because he is too messy.  Drives me crazy!  So obviously cooking with a 2 year old is a challenge for me.  But....My mommy was a good mommy and let me make messes in the kitchen and I strive to be as good of a mom as she is.  So we got out all of our ingredients and utensils and started the oven and I showed her how to scoop the flour and gave her the scoop and she...washed it.  She put it in the sink and wiped it down with the sponge and put it in the drainer.  I watched, speechless and thought maybe it was a fluke.  So we tried again.  I scooped the sugar and handed it to her to put it in the bowl.  She dumped it back into the container and washed the scoop.

When Molly first began picking up her toys she would organize them into the proper boxes and would not relax unless they were all organized.  When she was 16 months old she started wiping down everything she could find with anything she could find.  Now when I give her the opportunity she loves to scrub the carpet with the carpet brush.  I thought it was a fluke.

After watching her wash the scoops I tried to encourage her to help me with the cookies by showing her how to crack eggs.  That got her excited!  So she tried it...and got egg on her hand...and screamed.  So she washed her hand.  And the counter.  And the bowl she cracked the egg into.

So maybe she will never be a baker but at least my kitchen is going to be VERY clean.  Regardless of the fact that I made the cookies myself and she only wanted to do dishes it was still a great memory.  We giggled and listened to the BeeGees and danced.  It was a great day.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Wow. Can I hire her to teach Harrison a few lessons on clean up? He's OK w/ picking up his toys, but definitely doesn't mind getting his hands (and other people, surfaces, etc.) dirty!